History Of Our School
1950:St Joseph's National school was built. This building replaced the old school, which was located beside the church. The new school had two classrooms and two teachers - Master Garvey and Mrs Brennan.
1954: Saw a new principal Sean McKenna takeover at the school.
1960's: An extra room was built (currently Ms. Denise Fitzharris' room). A new teacher Mrs. Ferguson started.
1964: Another new Teacher, Mairead French started.
1969: Tullycanna N.S. and Hilltown N.S. amalgamated to become one school. Now the school had 182 pupils. Mrs. Fenlon was the new teacher. There was an extra classroom outside to cater for the large numbers.
1982/83: Two new classrooms, a General Purpose Room and a staff room were built.
Mid 1980's: Most classes were large with 30+ pupils.
Early 90's: The G.P. room was used a classroom to meet demands of large numbers.
2000: Deirdre Frayney and May Lawlor joined the staff. Sean McKenna retired after 46 years of teaching. Mairead French became principal.
2003: Isabelle Flynn joined our school.
2005: Our school was awarded the Green Flag for environmental awareness and respect.
2007: We were awarded a Green Flag for conservation of Energy. Mary Davey passes away in September of this year and Eleanor Kehoe joined the school.
2008: Fr. O'Leary left Ballymitty Parish and was replaced by Fr. J.J. Doyle.
2009: Fr. Doyle was replaced by Fr. Cahill. Mairead French retired after 43 years of teaching and Isabelle Flynn took over as principal. Orlaith Kehoe joined the staff. The Green Flag for water conservation was awarded to the school.
September 2010 - June 2011: Ms. Casey joined the staff. A new three-classroom extension with an upstairs learning loft, a storage room, a secretary's office and an entrance hall are added to the school.
January 2011: Trish O'Grady becomes our new school cleaner as Marcella Cahill retires after 25 years of service.
September 2011: Ms. Isabelle Flynn retires and Ms. Mary Regan becomes the new principal.
December 2011: Mr. Stanley McDonald retires after 16 years of service.
January 2012: Ms. Róisín McCarthy joins the staff.
February 2012: Mrs. Lawlor retires after 12 years of service.
August 2012: Fr. Denis Browne becomes the new curate in Ballymitty.
September / October 2012. Ms Audrey McCarthy becomes the new principal. Denise Fitzharris and Bairbre Diamond join the staff as permanent teachers.
September 2013: The three-classroom extension is officially opened on Friday 13th September by the Most Reverent Denis Brennan, Bishop of Ferns.
In October 2016: Tríona Bohanna joined the permanent staff to replace Ms. Eleanor Kehoe.
In March 2017: Fr. Denis Browne becomes Parish Priest in North Wexford. Fr. Martin Pender becomes the new Curate in Ballymitty.
September 2018 – the first Autistic class An Choill Bheag (The Little Forest) opens with Ms. Bríd Casey as the teacher. Also 2 Special Needs Assistants join our school – Ms. Christine Casey and Ms. Síona Nolan.
October 2nd 2018 – Rachel Butler becomes a permanent member of staff.